Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Over 2 and nearly 1!

Hi,

I just checked the date of my last blog entry and it was 4 months ago - whoops! Still, I have posted videos in between now and then (and pictures for those of you on Facebook) so I don't feel quite so slack!




October and November were 8 weeks of one virus after another with the kids - all of which of course were generously passed onto me - needless to say not much sleep was had! But I looked upon that as the storm before the (hopeful) calm when dad arrived in December. And what a lovely month December was. We took Dad to parks, on a ferry and train ride through the city, the zoo, to child friendly cafes (at 6.30am!) the local shopping haunts, the beach, Noosa for Christmas, Southbank water park, Mount Cootha and even a children's disco. He also went out with James and I on New Years eve to Portside for Japanese cuisine and the 9pm river fireworks - James had a blast introducing him to pickled ginger and sake. But overall most of Dad's time was spent being soaked by Jude in the paddling pool at home. For those of you that weren't aware my Dad's mum passed away on our Xmas eve. Whilst I was very sad that dad and I weren't in the UK at the time, I was glad that dad had the kids as a distraction and the backdrop of Noosa to reflect on the positive memories.






 
We were all incredibly sad to say goodbye to him and Jude went into a quiet place for the rest of the day. No doubt trying to work out why Grampy was no longer there and adjusting to the change. The next day he was up and back to normal...verbal diarrhoea, ants in his pants and my permanent shadow. :-) His favourite question is repeated throughout the day, "What's that noise?" which is preparing me for the day when everything is "Why? Why? Why?"

I think he is either destined to be an Olympic swimmer or a plumber because he is OBSESSED with water. If he's not in the paddling pool he is in the bath, if not there he is washing up in the sink, or carrying a bucket of water somewhere, or in a swimming pool, or in the sea and if he's at the park you will find him running the water tap and splashing in puddles rather than on the swings or slide. And he talks a lot about "water going down the pipe and down the drain" - we love our strange little boy.


 

Ivy is another interesting character. She is either very quiet or very loud with little in between. When she gets babbling there is nothing stopping her. She isn't crawling yet but is getting closer each day and has done a couple of face plants into the floorboards or tiles as a result. :-( She does manage to travel along the floor slowly in her own swivelling way and can be seen tilting her head
(almost touching the ground) around the corner of a door to see what is happening in the next room. She doesn't like to be missing out on anything. She LOVES music, singing and dancing and hates being put into any restraint like the car seat or pram. If she could be in my arms 24/7 she would be extremely content. She has very strong legs and slams them on the ground when she's not happy and heel taps the floor when she is happy. If you throw a ball to her she will throw it back to you over and over. Definitely picked up James' sporty genes. She is cheeky and knows no fear. I love watching Jude and Ivy interact with each other. Jude has some loving and protective moments and some agitated times when she is nonchalantly encroaching in on his space.








Jude is so pedantic and precise in the way he goes about most things whereas Ivy is a whack it and see personality. He is cautious and nervous, she is fearless. But they both share a big sense of humour and there are lots of loud giggles and infectious laughter.

I get mixed reactions when I'm out and about by myself with the double stroller filled with the dynamic duo and daily paraphernalia - some doting smiles and some "geez you have your hands full" comments. Either way I smile and remain grateful for my two gifts.

 


I have been powering through my Image Consultancy course and finished my last assignment last night...just got to wait to be marked now. Wahoo! In the background I have also been creating my logo, setting up my business number and name, Say Something Back (which will cover my communications consulting work too), designing and publishing my website www.saysomethingback.com.au, posting on social media (daily looks, advice and fashion forecasting), designing business cards and writing my business blog. I'm realistic and know it will take some time to get my name out there and make some money but as most of you know, I am a driven and focused person and will give it a good shot.


In my spare time (!) I have been packing up the house for our move to Melbourne. We move out Friday 31st and are imposing on the in laws until we find a rental in Victoria. We're sad to be leaving a nice house, friends and family but we are embracing the change and looking forward to discovering new things together. James will continue to travel to Sydney or Melbourne every week until we all move.



Nanny Barbs has been popping in and out to help distract Jude while I get things boxed up. She makes me laugh - she naturally has a much more laid back parenting style to me - one time I came home to find a big poo from Ivy on the sofa which had fallen out of the nappy while Barbs changed her (she did wonder why she smelt but had no poo!) and another time I found a dirty nappy wedged into the top of the side gate which Barbs no doubt was planning on transferring to the outside bin but forgot. She has been helping Jude's hand eye coordination by suspending a ball with string on the back deck which he loves to hit with a tennis racket. "Good shot!" he says. Some of my favourite moments include watching him and James hit the ball to each other and their tandem mowing efforts.




Ivy has the 'd' and 'g' sounds down pat so most of her babbling sounds like "Dad' which of course James is thrilled about. The only time she makes a 'm' sound is when she's sobbing and needs comfort from mum - I guess I have to take what I can get!






Life is busy and sometimes draining - but mostly lots of fun. And as you can see I never have a camera too far away so I can capture the memories.

Til next time...

Love Nic x

No comments:

Post a Comment