Well James is officially back at work after 2 weeks off. In that time we had Jude and Ivy's christening (a big thank you to all who sent cards and gifts), we spent a week in Noosa and did some much procrastinated gardening and house work. The weather turned quite cold for about a week and with it came the rounds of cold and flu - both Ivy and Jude were 'bunged up' so there have been some sleepless nights and tag team night waking efforts made by both. It's been a two person affair trying to unblock Ivy - me holding her back and James spraying saline solution up her nose and then sucking all the mucus back out again....lovely! And every time Jude laughs or cries, a snot bubble pops out of his nostrils...gross and amusing at the same time.
The christening was a lovely day. Both Jude and Ivy behaved extremely well. Ivy slept through the baptism part (waking only momentarily with a shocked/grumpy look on her face when the priest poured water on her head) and Jude put his hands in the water and explored the church. At one point he was carrying around these little white discs which I worryingly thought was holy communion bread that he had 'borrowed' from somewhere but when I saw Jasper with the same, I guessed Auntie Abbie had come ladened with treats! After the ceremony, we all headed back to Pendleton farm for a lovely spread that Barbs had put on and a roam around the paddocks. Jude was fascinated with the cows, running towards them while they turned their backs and trundled away.
We had some rain while we were in Noosa but still managed to get out quite a bit - Ivy and I had our first high tea and James and Jude even managed a brief dip in the river. Poppy stayed for one night so that James and I could go on our date night to a Mexican restaurant sans kids. Apparently they were very quiet...until we turned up and then Jude started crying...how do they know?!
Since then we hosted a belated birthday bbq for James and I and some farm animals put in a special appearance too which Jude loved. You should have seen his face when the Llama came through the garage...he went right up to the rear end of it and patted him...to which James said, "Not that end matey, you'll end up getting kicked!"
Ivy is now 3 months old and has moved into her own room, directly below her brother's. It hasn't seemed to phase her at all...in fact she seems to love all the mobiles, teddy bears and wall transfers that she was deprived of when sharing our room!
She is such a beautiful and happy little girl. She even chuckles in her sleep. I've been told by a few people that she is "filling out nicely" which would probably have something to do with her 3 hourly feeds rather than 4 as all the books suggest. Hungry girl! She's extremely alert like her brother was and has just started grabbing objects and recognising people from a greater distance. My grandma will be pleased to know that she is just as much a fidget as Jude! Poor James isn't going to get the relaxed family he once hoped for. :-)
Jude is struggling with the reduced attention with James away and there have been a few tearful tantrums this week. I seem to spend more time saying the word 'no' now! He has some new words - stairs, baby, bird, gen (meaning 'again'), more and when I count he chimes in at 'two'. His new passion alongside cars is football. He continues to be the doting big brother and loves it when Ivy looks at him.
I seem to be having the worst running luck this week. First I buy a column heater from Bunnings inside which the manufacturer hides the manual wrapped in plastic without warning...hence the burning plastic smell I discover an hour after switching it on! Then my credit card details get hacked online and someone goes on a $4000 spending spree. And then today our freezer over-freezes and I can't open the drawers to get any food out so I am forced to defrost. I helplessly watch as the 3 months supply of breast milk that I have expressed and stored 'just in case' for Ivy thaws. Jude on the other hand thinks the blocks of ice everywhere (the last pic below shows the blocks of ice which I threw onto a part of the garden that Jude couldn't step on), slippery tiles and mummy running frantically up and down stairs with towels and food in the laundry basket while Ivy hungrily screams in the sidelines hilarious.
Needless to say it's been a rough day and I am looking forward to James flying in tonight...he will be very pleased that the defrosted fridge means 'pizza night' 2 days in a row. :-)
It is always around my birthday that I find myself most missing my family and friends back home...thinking of you all.
Nic xx
















No comments:
Post a Comment